Jussie Smollett Wants Chicago’s Lawsuit Moved to Federal Court

Maria Perez SAVE THIS

Jussie Smollett arrives at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago.(REUTERS/Kamil Krzaczynski)

Actor Jussie Smollett has asked the city of Chicago to move the lawsuit filed against him in state court to federal court.

The motion was filed on July 3, with Smollett’s lawyers arguing that he is a resident of California and only lived in Chicago to film the TV show, “Empire,” USA Today reported. The request comes two months after the city of Chicago sued Smollett for the cost of an investigation into whether the actor was allegedly the victim of a homophobic and racist attack in downtown Chicago in January.

Smollet, 37, told Chicago police back in January that he was attacked on a street in downtown Chicago by two white men who yelled anti-gay and racist slurs at him, The New York Times previously reported. He told police at the time of the investigation that…

Subscribe to The North Star

Subscribe for $10 a month to gain access to this and many more articles from The North Star.

Do you already have an account?

RELATED STORIES

Join The Conversation

Join the Conversation